lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Advise for Mediabase with Lucene
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:23:11 GMT
I'm not a particular fan of Hibernate, but that may just reflect my
unfamiliarity.

The real question is should you have two separate systems that you tie
together, Lucene as a search engine AND a database for "other stuff". My
*strong* preference is to keep the number of moving parts to a minimum so
I'd start by choosing one or the other.

You almost certainly won't be able to get acceptable performance out
of text-based searching using a database, so I'd go for the Lucene-based
solution first and only add in a database (in whatever form) if you find
yourself unable to do it all in Lucene.

NOTE: you really have to take off your database hat to use lucene. All the
stuff you reflexively want to do about normalizing data goes right out the
window. You do NOT want to try to make Lucene do joins, for instance.
Flatten
the data even if you cringe at the data replication <G>...

Search the user list for "database" and you'll find a lot of discussion...

Best
Erick