lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Question regarding sorting and memory consumption in lucene
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:43:35 GMT
I think you have your memory cost calculation wrong.
The cost is field size (10 bytes ?) times number of documents NOT number of unique terms.
The cache is essentially an array of  size reader.maxDoc() which is indexed directly into
on docId to retrieve field values.

You are right in needing to factor in the cost of keeping one active cache while busy warming-up
a new one so that effectively doubles the RAM requirements.

----- Original Message ----
From: Aleksander M. Stensby <aleksander.stensby@integrasco.no>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, 10 October, 2008 15:25:29
Subject: Re: Question regarding sorting and memory consumption in lucene

Unfortunately no, since the documents that are added may come form a new
"source" containing old documents aswell..:/
I tried deploying our webapplication without any searcher objects and it
consumes basically ~200mb of memory in tomcat.
With 6 searchers the same applications manages to consume over 2.5 GB of
memory when warming... :(
I might have done some super-idiotic logic in the way I handle searching,
but I can seriously not see what that might be...

But I assume that people deal with much larger indexes than this, right?

cheers,
  Aleksander

--
Aleksander M. Stensby