lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From agatone <zoran.z...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene vs. Database
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 07:43:57 GMT

Hi,
I asked this question already on "lucene-general" list but also got advised
to ask here too.

I'm working on a project that has big database in the background (some
tables have about 1500000 rows). We decided to use Lucene for "faster"
search. Our search works similar as all searches: you write search string,
get list of hits with detail link. But there is dilemma if we should store
more data into index than it's needed.

One side of developing team insists that we should use lucene index as
somekind of storage for data so when you get hit, you go onto details and
then again use lucene to find document that matches the selected ID and take
the data from Lucene index. So in the end you end with copying complete
database tables into the lucene index.

Other side insists on storing to index only data that is displayed directly
to the user when showing the search results list and needed for search
criteria. When you go onto details, you have the matching ID so you can
pickup that row from database by that ID rather than search it inside Lucene

Can someone please describe drawbacks and advantages of both approaches.
Actually can someone write down what's the actual profit, where and when of
the Lucene itself in real production env.

IT would be great if there is anyone who could write his experience with
indexing and searching large amount of data.

Thank you