lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anshul jain" <anshulnirv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi Field search without Multifieldqueryparser
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:35:05 GMT
yes you are partly correct

what I need is that lucene should support two type of queries for the
following document:
name: abc^10
organization: xyz^3

structured query:
name: abc and organization: xyz

unstructured query:
default_field: abc ^5 and xyz

But i do not want to create one more field(default_field) that will
contain all the values concatenated in it. Also, even if i get all the
fields during indexing and use it for multi field query parser, then
the query will become very inefficient as there can be thousands of
fields. I think it should clarify my point.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> So, the piece I'm missing is how do you know what field for which terms.  In
> other words how do you know xyz goes against organization and abc against
> name.  Your wording implies that you don't know this before hand, yet you
> are somehow suggesting that Lucene should be able to do it.  Correct me if
> I'm wrong.
>
> -Grant
>

> On Sep 23, 2008, at 6:51 AM, Anshul jain wrote:
>
>> Here is what I'm trying to do:
>>
>> say a lucene document:
>> name: abc ^10
>> organization: xyz ^3
>>
>> ^10 and ^3 are boosts in the document.
>>
>> now if I query name: abc ^5 AND organization: xyz this will work.
>>
>> but if I query (default_field): abc^5 AND xyz this won't work.
>>
>> Now what I want is that a text can be associated with more than one field.
>> i.e.
>>
>> (field1,field2,field3):value
>> name,(default_field),title: abc^10
>> organization,(default_field),institute: xyz^3
>>
>> then both of my queries will work.
>>
>> Is it possible to do so in lucene without changing the source?
>> If no then can anyone please explain the indexing and searching
>> mechanism for lucene, so that I can start working on it.
>>
>> The solution given by the java-users won't work for me as I do not
>> want to add all the contents of the document in a single field and
>> then search for that field, as this would increase the index size and
>> I've to index more than 10 million documents. Also
>> multifieldqueryparser will make it query execution inefficient, as
>> there will be thousands of fields.
>>
>> If I start storing just a single field as: (default_field): "name abc
>> organization xyz", then it is possible that some other documents might
>> get selected that are not relevant. Also i want to boost individual
>> fields in a document.
>>
>> Anshul

> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com