lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: concise definition of Lucene score?
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:13:58 GMT

: I have attempted to find a concise definition of how the Lucene score is
: calculated, something that can be understood by most people.

The answer tends to vary based on exactly what type of query you are
talking about ... TermQuery?  PhraseQuery?  BooleanQuery contianing a mix?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that if you feel like the
explanation on the Similarity docs is too verbose, then perhaps what you
are looking for isn't an definition, but a simple example.

the explain() method can be used to show exactly what hte score
calculation is for a given query and a given document.  while it won't
always show you the *full* picture of what types of scores might be
produced by the query (ie if a doc matches all clauses of a BooleanQuery,
it won't show you that there would be a coordFactor if it had only matched
one) it is the most straight forward way to get a simple understanding of
"why is this the score?" for any concrete example.

-Hoss