lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: Optimizing while readers are open
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:15:45 GMT
Eran Sevi wrote:

> I'm using Windows and it worked just fine, although the procedure is
> a bit
> awkward. Why do I have to open a new writer? closing the current one
> (after
> switching readers) isn't enough? is it because of deleted documents
> that
> need to be updated?

It's because Windows doesn't let you delete a file that's open (not
due to deleted documents).

> Do you know if it's different in more advanced versions than 2.1 ?

In fact, it is: as of 2.3, IndexWriter will try to delete unreferenced
files during close().  So once you upgrade you won't need to open &
close a new IndexWriter.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message