lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: How can we know if 2 lucene indexes are same?
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:14:20 GMT

I think this may also be useful for a reader to have richer logic as
to whether it's time to reopen.  It's a way for the writer to do some
minimal communication to the readers on what changes were just
committed.

Ie we have the static IndexReader.getVersion method, that opens the
latest segments_N in the index and returns its version; we'd add
something like static IndexReader.getLatestCommitUserData which
IndexReader could consult to see if it should reopen.

In 3.0, when IndexWriter hardwires autoCommit to false, then every
commit is explicitly done by application code (vs now where merges,
optimize, may do commits as well), then the application would have
total control on what userData to put into the commit.

I think this is compelling?  It's a tiny change to the index format.

Mike