lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Memory Leak
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:58:46 GMT
Closing the directory seems a bit strange, why are you doing that
(other than it is a public method), especially since you say you are
keeping the IndexSearcher around?  Also, you probably shouldn't open a
new searcher every time.  Are your queries on different directories
every time?

What testing have you done to date that lead you to believe this
section of code is the cause of the problem?

-Grant

On Sep 2, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Andy33 wrote:

> I have a memory leak in my lucene search code. I am able to run a
> few queries
> fine, but I eventually run out of memory. Please note that I do
> close and
> set to null the ivIndexSearcher object elsewhere. Here is the code I
> am
> using...
>

> private synchronized Hits doQuery(String field, String queryStr, Sort
> sortOrder, String indexDirectory) throws Exception
>    {
> 	Directory directory = null;
>
> 	try
> 	{
> 	    Analyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();
>
> 	    directory = FSDirectory.getDirectory(indexDirectory);
>
> 	    //search the index
> 	    ivIndexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(directory);
>
> 	    QueryParser parser = new QueryParser(field, analyzer);
> 	    Query query = parser.parse(queryStr);
> 	    Hits results = ivIndexSearcher.search(query, sortOrder);
>
> 	    return results;
> 	}
> 	finally
> 	{