lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "N. Hira" <nh...@cognocys.com>
Subject Re: Similarity percentage between two Strings
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 20:28:39 GMT
I don't know how much of this is a Lucene problem, but -- as I'm sure
you will inevitably hear from others on the list -- it depends on
what your definition of "similar" is.

By similar, do you mean:
1.  Identical, except for variations in case (upper/lower)
2.  Allow 1., but also allow prefixes/suffixes (e.g., "FW:  " or "...
(summary")
3.  Allow 1., 2. and permit some new terms ... how many?
4.  Allow all of the above and allow some changes to terms using
stemming (E.g., "Google releases Chrome" is similar to "Google
announces the release of its new Chrome web browser")

I'm sure you see where this is going.  So ... how do you define similar?

Good luck!

-h
Hira, N.R.
Cognocys, Inc.