lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter commit
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:48:32 GMT

There is no difference, unless your computer/OS crashes or loses power
shortly after you had call the method.

In that case, there's a big difference: commit() guarantees your index
will be intact (assuming the storage system holding your index was not
damaged) but with flush(), which doesn't sync() the index files it
writes, it's entirely possible that the index will become corrupt
because some files were still in the OS's write cache when it crashed.

But the guarantee only holds if the underlying storage system is
"honest" about fsync(), ie, it truly flushes all written bytes for
that file to disk before returning.

Mike