lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "David Massart" <dmass...@acm.org>
Subject searching for string with a blank
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:24:47 GMT
Hi all,
Here is a new newbee question.

I'm adding to a lucene index, documents containing a field lrt created as
follows:

doc.add( new Field( "lrt", learningResourceType

.toLowerCase(), Field.Store.NO,

Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED ) ) ;

where possible values for learningResourceType are:

application

assessment

broadcast

case study

course

demonstration

drill and practice

educational game

In this index, searching for a string that doesn't contain a blank character
works  fine

for example, lrt: application

but searching for a string with a blank does not return any results:

for example, lrt: case study doesn't work

Using lukeall, I can successfully query my index by escaping the blank with
a backslash

for example, lrt: case\ study

But it doesn't work when I try to do the same thing in Java

String query = "lrt: case\\ study"

doesn't return any result.

I've also try to QueryParser.escape( "case study") but it doesn't seem to
affect blank characters?

Thanks for your help.

David