lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yannis Pavlidis" <ypavli...@me.dium.com>
Subject PhraseQuery issues - differences with SpanNearQuery
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 16:22:45 GMT
Hi,

I am having an issue when using the PhraseQuery which is best illustrated with this example:

I have created 2 documents to emulate URLs. One with a URL of: "http://www.airballoon.com"
and title "air balloon" and the second one with URL
"http://www.balloonair.com" and title: "balloon air".

Test1 (PhraseQuery)
======
Now when I use the phrase query with - title: "air balloon" ~2
I get back:

url: "http://www.airballoon.com" - score: 1.0
url: "http://www.balloonair.com" - score: 0.57

Test2 (PhraseQuery)
======
Now when I use the phrase query with - title: "balloon air" ~2
I get back:
url: "http://www.balloonair.com" - score: 1.0
url: "http://www.airballoon.com" - score: 0.57

Test3 (PhraseQuery)
======
Now when I use the phrase query with - title: "air balloon" ~2 title: "balloon air" ~2
I get back:
url: "http://www.airballoon.com" - score: 1.0
url: "http://www.balloonair.com" - score: 1.0

Test4 (SpanNearQuery)
=======
spanNear([title:air, title:balloon], 2, false)
I get back:
url: "http://www.airballoon.com" - score: 1.0
url: "http://www.balloonair.com" - score: 1.0

I would have expected that Test1, Test2 would actually return both URLs with score of 1.0
since I am setting the slop to 2. It seems though that lucene really favors and absolute exact
match.

Is it safe to assume that for what I am looking for (basically score the docs the same regardless
on when someone is searching for "air balloon" or "balloon air") it would be better to use
the SpanNearQuery rather than the PhraseQuery?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Yannis.