lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <>
Subject memory leak during Lucene Search
Date Sun, 07 Sep 2008 05:35:16 GMT
Unless my understanding is wrong, there is a memory leak for Lucene search
from Lucene-1195.(svn r659602, May23,2008)

This patch brings in a ThreadLocal cache to TermInfosReader.

It's usually recommended to keep the reader open, and reuse it when
possible. In a common J2EE application, the http requests are usually
handled by different threads. But since the cache is ThreadLocal, the cache
are not really usable by other threads. What's worse, the cache can not be
cleared by another thread!

This leak is not so obvious usually. But my case is using RAMDirectory,
having several hundred megabytes. So one un-released resource is obvious to

Here is the reference tree:
  |- directory of
      |- file of
          |- base of org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader$CSIndexInput
              |- input of org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermEnum
                  |- value of java.lang.ThreadLocal$ThreadLocalMap$Entry

After I switched back to svn revision 659601, right before this patch is
checked in, the memory leak is gone.
Although my case is RAMDirectory, I believe this will affect disk based
index also.

Chris Lu
Lucene Database Search in 3 minutes:
DBSight customer, a shopping comparison site, (anonymous per request) got
2.6 Million Euro funding!