lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Shalin Shekhar Mangar" <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How can we know if 2 lucene indexes are same?
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:51:58 GMT
On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> Well this is certainly a nice challenging problem :)

Yes it is :-)

I think this could be a generally useful feature?

> So you're thinking IndexWriter.commit() would take an optional opaque
> argument (maybe a String for generality?) that's recorded into the
> segments_N and could then later be retrieved by IndexReader and IndexWriter?
>
> After a merge completes, should it just carry forward whatever was stored
> on the last segments_N?
>
> We should call it something other than version, which already exists --
> maybe "commitDetails", "commitComment", "commitUserData" or something?

Thinking more on this, we may not need to modify the index format at all for
this use-case. This is easily achieved in the current system by adding a
dummy document which Solr can read/write -- not very elegant but it can work
:-)

Using the version came to my mind because I didn't see it as very useful by
itself. It is just the current time stamp as a long, incremented for every
commit.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.