lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <dar...@ontrenet.com>
Subject Re: SpanQuery problem
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 01:52:50 GMT
Yes, return the document, but the problem is with SpanNearQuery it does not return the documents
I expect.
Sorry I did not explain it well. Consider 2 documents each with "word" fields.

Document 1

word: blue bird
word: blue car

Document 2

word: sky blue
word: sea blue

I want to search for 'blue' and ONLY return Document 1 as I already know
that the term 'blue' MUST appear at the front of the field word:

SpanNearQuery with slop of 0 or 1 won't do this if Document 1 has other fields
like this.

Document 1 - IS NOT FOUND WITH SPAN NEAR 0 or 1

word: some blue
word: another blue
word: blue bird
word: blue car

Expanding the Span slop to 3 will find Document 1 above this line, however
I thought the slop meant within the field terms. It seems to refer to the list of fields rather
than terms. This is unexpected behavior to me. But I'm no lucene expert.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Darren

darren@ontrenet.com wrote:
> Thanks Paul. I will study your response more, as I don't fully understand it yet - specifically
"You'll need to expand the prefix into indexed terms".

> But what I want to do is so simple I'm surprised it cannot be done.
>
> You are saying that I cannot find all fields across all documents that begin with a string
or space bounded word? Consider 1 document with:

> word: blue car
> word: red car
> word: car door
> word: car wheel
>
> Using whitespace analyzer I simply want to query all fields in all documents
> where 'car' is the at the very front of the field.
>
> word: car door
> word: car wheel
>
> This cannot be done? I don't want to retrieve all of them and prune the results myself
because it will consume lots of resources.

> thanks so much!
>
> Darren
>
> On Sun Sep 14 16:36 , Paul Elschot  sent:Op Sunday 14 September 2008 19:36:38 schreef
Darren Govoni: