lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>
Subject Re: Query attached words
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:25:23 GMT
We have a similar requirement here at our work.

In order to get around it we create two indexes, one of which
punctuation is relevant, and one in which all punctuation is treated as
a place to break tokens.

We then do a search against both indexes and merge the results, it seems
that such a technique might be able to help you here as well.  (Though
upon rereading it seems like perhaps you want SOME punctuation to be
relevant, but others not, the technique itself though could still be
applied with these rules used instead)

- Matt

Jean-Claude Antonio wrote:
> Thanks Erick, you are right about the various combinations.
> Cheers,
>
> Erick Erickson wrote:
>> Yes you can query *method. But you have to turn leading wildcards
>> (which I don't have right on the tips of my fingers, but know it's been
>> an option for some time now).
>>
>> But your solution doesn't scale well. If you had
>> a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h you'd have to store many combinations in order
>> to do what you want, quickly becoming really, really ugly.
>>
>> But you could store the tokens
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> by using the appropriate analyzer (or perhaps rolling
>> your own). Then you could use either PhraseQuerys
>> or SpanQuerys to do what you want....
>>
>> Best
>> Erick
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Jean-Claude Antonio
>> <jcantonio@arcetis.com>wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> If I had a file with the following content:
>>> object.method();
>>> I would like to be able to query for
>>> object
>>> method