lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Case Sensitivity
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:20:27 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:

> Anthony Urso wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Michael McCandless
>> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah I realize that.  Now that we have omitTF as an option we could
>>> really
>>> go crazy ;)
>>>
>>> I figured since we already have NOT_ANALYZED_NO_NORMS we may as well
>>> round
>>> it out with ANALYZED_NO_NORMS, and then stop there.  Plus, people
>>> have been
>>> surprised that you could do ANALYZED_NO_NORMS, yet it is useful.
>>
>> Why not make this flag field into a bitmap?
>
> I think that makes sense, at some point in the future (when we clean up
> Fieldable/AbstractField/Field?).  This way you can OR together things
> like NORMS/NO_NORMS, ANALYZED/NOT_ANALYZED, INCLUDE_TF/OMIT_TF, etc.

+1 on that. AFAIR the original motivation for these type-safe
enumerations was that some combination of flags are invalid /
unsupported, and then you would discover it only at runtime. But the
problems with this approach seem to outweigh the benefits ...

Perhaps we could provide static methods on Fieldable that test the
validity of flag combinations with particular version of Lucene?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><