lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multi Field search without Multifieldqueryparser
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:58:44 GMT
So, the piece I'm missing is how do you know what field for which
terms.  In other words how do you know xyz goes against organization
and abc against name.  Your wording implies that you don't know this
before hand, yet you are somehow suggesting that Lucene should be able
to do it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Grant

On Sep 23, 2008, at 6:51 AM, Anshul jain wrote:

> Here is what I'm trying to do:
>
> say a lucene document:
> name: abc ^10
> organization: xyz ^3
>
> ^10 and ^3 are boosts in the document.
>
> now if I query name: abc ^5 AND organization: xyz this will work.
>
> but if I query (default_field): abc^5 AND xyz this won't work.
>
> Now what I want is that a text can be associated with more than one
> field. i.e.
>
> (field1,field2,field3):value
> name,(default_field),title: abc^10
> organization,(default_field),institute: xyz^3
>
> then both of my queries will work.
>
> Is it possible to do so in lucene without changing the source?
> If no then can anyone please explain the indexing and searching
> mechanism for lucene, so that I can start working on it.
>
> The solution given by the java-users won't work for me as I do not
> want to add all the contents of the document in a single field and
> then search for that field, as this would increase the index size and
> I've to index more than 10 million documents. Also
> multifieldqueryparser will make it query execution inefficient, as
> there will be thousands of fields.
>
> If I start storing just a single field as: (default_field): "name abc
> organization xyz", then it is possible that some other documents might
> get selected that are not relevant. Also i want to boost individual
> fields in a document.
>
> Anshul

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com