lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tobias Larsson Hult <tobias.larsson.h...@findwise.se>
Subject Using separate index for each user
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:55:09 GMT
Hi,

We're thinking of using Lucene to integrate search in a backup service
application. The background is that we have a bunch of users using a
backup service, and we want them to be able to search their own, and
only their own, backups.

The total amount of data that's being backed up is very large (size in
terabyte). Even though the index will probably be smaller due to only
indexing relevant fields, it is still to much to incorporate in one
index. But since a user will only search in his/her own files we're
thinking of creating one index for each user. There will be a lot of
indexes of course but each index will not span to more than a couple
of gigabytes at the most.

So when a user searches or adds new content to the backup we will open
up his/her index and to a search/update in that particular index. That
way, each query/update should not be so performance intense.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?  Of course this means
creating a lot of IndexReaders/Writers but I prefer that to searching
in a huge index everytime when a user only wants to search in a slice
of the total index.

Best Regards,
Tobias Larsson Hult