lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Cam Bazz" <camb...@gmail.com>
Subject lucene ram buffering
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:28:23 GMT
hello,
I was reading the performance optimization guides then I found :
writer.setRAMBufferSizeMB()

combined with: writer.setMaxBufferedDocs(IndexWriter.DISABLE_AUTO_FLUSH);

this can be used to flush automatically so if the ram buffer size is over a
certain limit it will flush.

now the question: i would like to manage all flushes myself. yet, i still
need a large ram buffer (for search performance)

how can I set ram buffer size to a large value, yet dont use auto flush. I
just want to flush every 32 documents added - and manage that myself.

if the ram buffer size is high, but we have a small number of documents,
does lucene try to write the entire contents of the ram buffer - thus
resulting in a higher flush time?

usually in oodbms systems, you use a larger ram buffer for search, and a
smaller ram buffer for write optimization. the reason being is a smaller ram
buffer is writable to disk faster.

is that the case with lucene?

Best.
-C.B.