lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sertic Mirko, Bedag" <Mirko.Ser...@bedag.ch>
Subject AW: Search with multiple wildcards
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:52:24 GMT
Jep, this is what i have read.

do I need to use the query parser, or can I create a query by the api?
Is there an example available?

Thanks a lot
Mirko

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. September 2008 16:45
An: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Search with multiple wildcards

Is this what you're referring to?

Lucene supports single and multiple character wildcard searches within
single terms (not within phrase queries).
(from http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html)

I'm pretty sure you can have multiple *terms* with wildcards. Luke is your
friend here, download a copy and try it <G>. Be sure on the search tab to
specify StandardAnalyzer or some such, rather than keywordanalyzer.

The phrase is trying to point out that a phrase query does NOT respect
wildcards. That is, submitting
"ab* bc* cd*" AS A PHRASE QUERY won't do what you expect. But I'm pretty
sure that

+field:ab* +field:bc* +field:cd*

will work just fine. The key here is "within single terms", which I think of
as
"within a single term query". You can add as many TermQuerys as you want.
See the query documentation for how to submit phrase queries.

Best
Erick

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Sertic Mirko, Bedag <Mirko.Sertic@bedag.ch