lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Wojciech Strzałka <wstrza...@gmail.com>
Subject Re[2]: Frequently updated fields
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:51:11 GMT

The most changing fields will be I think:
  Status (read/unread):  in fact I'm affraid of this at most - any
                         mail incoming to the system will need to be indexed at least twice
  Flags:   0..n values from enum
  Tags:    0..n values from enum

Of course all the other fields can also change - even content in draft messages
(it's live content, not archival) - but in such a case I'm ready to go
with the re-indexing.

> Hi Wojciech,

> can you please give us a bit more specific information about the meta
> data fields that will change? I would recommend you looking at
> creating filters from your primary persistency for query clauses such
> as unread/read, mailbox folders, et c.

>        karl

> 12 sep 2008 kl. 13.57 skrev Wojciech Strza?ka:

>> Hi.
>>
>>   I'm new to Lucene and I would like to get a few answers (they can
>>   be lame)
>>
>>   I want to index large amount of emails using Lucene (maybe SOLR),
>> not only
>>   the contents but also some metadata like state or flags. The
>>   problem is that the metadata will change during mail lifecycle,
>>   although much smaller updating this information will require
>>   reindex the whole mail content which I see performance bottleneck.
>>
>>   I have the data in DB also so my first question is:
>>
>>   - are there any best practices to implement my needs (querying both
>>   lucene & DB and then merging in memory?, close one eye and re-index
>>   the whole content on every metadata change? others?)
>>
>>   - is at all Lucene good solution for my problem?
>>
>>   - are there any plans to implement field updates in more efficient
>> way then
>>   delete/insert the whole document? if yes what's the time horizon?
>>

>>                                        Best regards
>>                                               Wojtek

Pozdrowienia,
 Wojciech Strzałka