lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Wojciech Strzałka <wstrza...@gmail.com>
Subject Re[2]: Frequently updated fields
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:22:18 GMT

   My strong reqirement is that search server runs on different machine then
   client - so I think I have two options: SOLR or Lucene via RMI
   (RemoteSearchable)

   So by now it looks like I have several options:

   1. TagIndex - like described here
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1292, looks like
   exactly what I need. Unfortunatelly it's not yet commited and
   source code patching will be required.
   Probably will not work with SOLR soon.
   2. SOLR updatable fields
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-139 - I'm not really sure if it
   reduces reindexing the whole document or the only benefit is that I don't need to push
full
   content to server but it's internally reindexed anyway. Not yet
   commited anyway.
   3. Writing custom filter - it looks like the most stable at the
   moment but I'm not sure few things:
   - will I be able to use this with SOLR - setup and then control
   filter (which needs to be dynamic) by some URL params or query itself
   - I'll need to query the DB for metadata which I think will be fast
   but complicates the architecture

   The question is how advanced are 1 & 2 - are they ready for
   production? Will further work change it behavior or data
   structures?
   The filter solution is also possible - I'd love to, if I can use it
   inside SOLR.

> Yes Tag Index will work.  I have not had time to complete it however
> if you are interested in working on it please feel free to contact me.

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You might check out the tagindex issue in jira as well. Havn't looked at it
>> myself, but I believe its supposed to be an option for this.
>>
>> Gerardo Segura wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the important question is: in general how to cope with frequently
>>> changing fields.

Pozdrowienia,
 Wojciech Strzalka