lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Wojciech Strzałka <wstrza...@gmail.com>
Subject Frequently updated fields
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:57:49 GMT
Hi.

   I'm new to Lucene and I would like to get a few answers (they can
   be lame)

   I want to index large amount of emails using Lucene (maybe SOLR), not only
   the contents but also some metadata like state or flags. The
   problem is that the metadata will change during mail lifecycle,
   although much smaller updating this information will require
   reindex the whole mail content which I see performance bottleneck.

   I have the data in DB also so my first question is:

   - are there any best practices to implement my needs (querying both
   lucene & DB and then merging in memory?, close one eye and re-index
   the whole content on every metadata change? others?)

   - is at all Lucene good solution for my problem?

   - are there any plans to implement field updates in more efficient way then
   delete/insert the whole document? if yes what's the time horizon?

                                        Best regards
                                               Wojtek