lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: ramdisks
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 09:00:33 GMT
On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 10:33 +0200, Cam Bazz wrote:

[RAM vs. Flash-SSD vs. harddrives]

> I have done similar test with ram vs. disk, and IO was the bottleneck.
> What flash ssd did you try with?

For disks (as in conventional 10.000/15.000 RPM harddrives), IO is
clearly the bottleneck for us also.

As for Flash-SSDs, we've tried 2 * MTRON 6000 32GB RAID 0, 2 * SanDisk
5000 32GB RAID 0 and SanDisk something (64GB model) both as single drive
and 4 drives in RAID 0.

However, the performance-observation only goes for querying the indexes.
For building, we haven't performed any substantial tests for RAM and for
Flash-SSDs vs. harddrives, only the newest SanDisk gave any noticeable
increase.

One important observation with regard to updating is that our setup with
SSDs requires a lot less warmup-time as compared to conventional
harddisks. This allows for shorter delays before new content is visible.