lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen>
Subject Re: ramdisks
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 07:00:37 GMT
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 17:58 +0200, Cam Bazz wrote:
> anyone using ramdisks for storage? there is ramsam and there is also fusion
> io. but they are kinda expensive. any other alternatives I wonder?

We've done some comparisons of RAM (Lucene RAMDirectory) vs. Flash-SSD
vs. conventional harddrives. We've seen significant improvements for
Flash-SSDs over harddrives, but less for RAM over Flash-SSDs.

For our setup (Linux, Flash-SSDs, 4 core Xeon, simple searches, 37GB
index, 10M documents, ~70 fields), the CPU seems to be the bottleneck.
Testing with a commodity Flash-SSD might be worth trying before going
all-out with the RAM-based systems.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message