lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andre Rubin" <andre.ru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Searching Tokenized x Un_tokenized
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:15:25 GMT
Thanks Otis, that was exactly what was happening.

1) According to here:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-133cf44dd3dff3680c96c1316a663e881eeac35a
wildcard queries are not passed through the Analyzer, but they are
always set to lower case.

2) And according to here:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-0f374b0fe1483c90fe7d6f2c44472d10961ba63c
un_tokenized fields are not passed through the Analyze as well.

So by creating an untokenized field and setting
parser.setLowercaseExpandedTerms(false), I manage to make my use case
work in a case-sensitive manner. That is, 'u*' returns 'usa' and 'U*'
returns USA....

The thing is, how to make this case-insensitive? I can make #1 work by
settting it to lowercase: parser.setLowercaseExpandedTerms(true). But
how make #2 work, that is, using a LowerCaseFilter to an Untokenized
field?

Thanks,

Andre

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Andre,
>
> Check the Lucene FAQ, there is an entry about wildcards and analysis (which doesn't take
place for wildcard queries).  Could that be it?