lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Doron Cohen" <>
Subject Re: Index of Lucene
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 04:11:28 GMT
Norms information comes mainly from lengths of documents - allowing the
search time scoring to take into account the effect of document lengths
field length within a document). In practice, norms stored within the index
may include
other information, such as index time boosts - for a document, for a field.
A single
byte is stored for each field, - so for this the actual value is compressed.
At search
time, norms are loaded into memory, and so consume 1 byte for each document.
It is possible to disable norms for a field while indexing. This is
better in the javadoc for Similarity, and here: