lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andy Triana" <andy.tri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: delete by doc id
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:55:21 GMT
I rarely submit but I've been seeing this sort of thing more and more
on this board.

It seems that there is a need to treat Lucene as if it were a data
storage or database like repository, where in
fact it isn't.

In our case, for large indexes we run either a parallel process to
create the index or a nightly process. Always treating
the index as a disposable lookup mechanism.

When it comes to deleting items from an index, we simply just mark
those items in a separate list or data structure and then filter them
away until the index is refreshed the next go around.

My point is, that it seems like folks want Lucene to act like a
relational database when in fact it is not meant to be used that way.

Perhaps I'm wrong and upgrades will allow for efficient deletions, but
it has always been clear to me that Lucene is strictly
an index and should be treated as a feature of your storage
repository, i.e. database, file system, web, whatever. But not relied
upon for that very storage or management of that storage.

The deletion issue is true of almost any indexing engine I've used in
the past, i.e. DT Search, Verity, etc.

Am I missing something? For us it has been a "best practice" to treat
Lucene as described.

//andy