lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Aravind.Yar...@equifax.com
Subject Re: Field sizes: maxFieldLength
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:20:11 GMT
tx for the response but i think i didnt make my question clear...

If i am indexing a filed that can at the max contain 1000 fileds, does it
help in improving performance if i let Lucene know IN ADVANCE about 1000?

Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com>
08/11/2008 05:13 PM
Please respond to
java-user@lucene.apache.org

java-user@lucene.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Field sizes: maxFieldLength

Aravind.Yarram@equifax.com wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I know in advance that each of the fileds i index doesnt go more than
> 1000, Can i gain any performance improvement while writing the index by
> limiting the maxFieldLength to 200?
>
> tx
> Regards,
> Aravind R Yarram
> This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be
confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please
refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
information and note that such actions are prohibited.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify by e-mail
postmaster@equifax.com.

Its 10000. Sure, if you have a lot of docs between 200 and 10000,
indexing less will be faster. But you will only be able to search on
those first 200 tokens for any doc longer.