lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Aravind.Yar...@equifax.com
Subject Clarification on deletion process...
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:12:51 GMT
The documentation for delete operation seems to be confusing (i am going
thru the book and also posted in the books forums...), so appreciate if
someone can let me know if my below understanding is correct.

When i delete a document from the index

1) It is marked for deletion in the BUFFER until I commit/close the
writer. Does that mean the document is still visible for the Searcher?

2) Once i commit/close the writer then IT IS JUST MARKED for delete in the
Index. At this time the document is NOT visible for the Searcher, but the
document is still taking up the space in the index.

3) Once the index is merged (optimized), it is removed from the index

Regards,
Aravind R Yarram
This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be confidential and privileged.
 If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of this information and note that such actions are prohibited.  If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify by e-mail postmaster@equifax.com.