lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Christopher M Collins <colli...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Unclear Javadoc lucene.search.Filter
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:31:27 GMT

I'm just starting to use Query Filters, and the javadoc for "Filter" is
unclear.  Specifically, getDocIdSet says:

Returns:
      a DocIdSet that provides the documents which should be permitted or
      prohibited in search results.

>From what I understand of DocIdSet, it's just a list of docIDs.  So, are
the those that should be permitted or prohibited?  The deprecated method
bits() has clearer javadoc.

Can someone clarify?  I can also look at the source of a filter
implementation, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone with write
access had a chance to clarify it.

Thanks,

Chris
Christopher Collins \ http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~ccollins
Department of Computer Science \ University of Toronto
Collaborative User Experience Group \ IBM Research