lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Deleted document terms
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:45:32 GMT

John Patterson wrote:

> I just discovered some strange behaviour with deleted documents.  I
> do a
> search for documents with a certain query and delete one using
> IndexWriter.deleteDocuments(Term) using a key for the term.  Then I
> repeat
> the search and the document is still there because I use a custom
> HitCollector which does not check IndexReader.isDeleted(int).  That
> is all
> expected.

Hmm -- once a document is deleted, your HitCollector won't ever see
it.  During searching, isDeleted is called per document at a very low
level.

If your HitCollector is seeing it, it sounds like it wasn't really
deleted.  Are you sure you closed the IndexWriter and then reopened
your searcher, so that the searcher will see the deletion?

> But when I try to show the deleted document by searching by key
> using the
> same term it was deleted with, it is not found.  So it seems that
> the term
> (id:MYKEY) is removed from the index.

This is odd -- the document should either be deleted (entirely), or
not.  You shouldn't get different behavior if you search for the doc
one way vs another.

> So I was surprised that the term for the id was removed but not the
> other
> terms for document.

That make two of us!

Mike