lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "John Griffin" <>
Subject RE: Field Question
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:15:53 GMT

	Field.TOKENIZED and Field.NO_NORMs send their field's contents
through a tokenizer and make their contents indexed and therefore
searchable. FIELD.UN_TOKENIZED does not send its field's contents through a
tokenizer but it still indexes its contents. Only Field.NO does not index
its field's contents.
	So, regardless of whether or not a particular document has a field
tokenized while another document does not has nothing to do with whether or
not the contents are indexed. As long as it's not Field.NO, they are.

John G.

-----Original Message-----
From: DimitriD []
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 9:14 AM
Subject: Field Question

I am new to lucene. Here is my question. The document has fields. When I add
a field to the document I can specify that field is Indexed, Tokenized,
etc.. So the same field can be Tokenized in one document and be
not-tokenized in another document. However the is a method
IndexReader.getFieldNames(IndexReader.FieldOption.INDEXED) that returns all
index fields in the index. It seems like it assumes that FIELD should have
the same attributes across all documents.
Can anyoen explain it?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: