lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steven A Rowe" <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: boost freshness instead of sorting
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:27:08 GMT
Hi Yannis,

On 08/28/2008 at 12:12 PM, Yannis Pavlidis wrote:
> I am trying to boost the freshness of some of our documents
> in the index using the most efficient way (i.e. if 2 news
> stories have the same score based on the content then I want
> to promote the one that was created last)

[...]

What Andrzej said was:

> Add a separate field, say "days", in which you will put as many
> "1" as many days elapsed since the epoch (not neccessarily since
> 1 Jan 1970 - pick a date that makes sense for you). Then, if you
> want to prioritize newer documents, just add "+days:1" to your
> query. Voila - the final results are a sum of other score factors
> plus a score factor that is higher for more recent document,
> containing more 1-s.

You interpreted this to mean "1", "2", "3", "4", etc. for the field value, but what Andrzej
meant was something like (assuming an analyzer that tokenizes at whitespace and does not drop
numeric tokens): "1", "1 1", "1 1 1", "1 1 1 1", etc.  Note that the choice of the "1" for
the token string is arbitrary - it could also be "X" or "Gazornumplatz".

Steve