lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Cedric Ho" <cedric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are there any Lucene optimizations applicable to SSD?
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 03:36:52 GMT
> [Cedric: Yes]
>
>> However I can't figure out why some of these queries are slower. Some
>> are complicated queries, yet others are just simple single term
>> queries and doesn't seems to score lots of hits. There's no
>> correlation between the number of terms or number of hits with the
>> response time. It's probably not due to filter cache miss also because
>> I've checked that too.
>
> Seems like we're left with range expansion and sorting... If you can fix
> all sorting to score, that would be an easy way of testing that part.
>
> Can you check if the slow queries are the ones with wide ranges?
> Or maybe run some of the slow queries without the filters at all?

ah, actually I've also seen that some slow queries are very short
range, so not a problem there. Sorting also not likely for I've tried
Sort.INDEXORDER before, which makes searching a little bit quicker
overall, but won't account for those very slow queries.

The problem is that if I just pick out all the slow queries and run
those, they are not slow again, (probably due to caching somehow)

Regards,
Cedric