lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: windows file system cache
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:44:26 GMT

Toke Eskildsen wrote:

>> Lucene process is around 5 GB, so very little left over for queries,
>> etc, and box starts swapping during searches.
> Not so fine and also unexpected. Are you sure that what you're
> seeing is
> swapping and not just flushing of the write-cache? Are you observing
> the
> disk-activity only when your switching from writer to reader or does
> it
> continue to be a problem with subsequent searches?

On Linux, at least, the OS will choose to evict "real" pages (swap
them out to disk) and then use the RAM for the IO cache instead.  This
then causes lots of paging when less-often-used parts of your app need
to access memory.

You can tune the "swappiness" kernel parameter (
) to change how aggressively it does this.  But I've never heard of a
corresponding way to tune Windows.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message