lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From renou oki <yodapoube...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Stop search process when a given number of hits is reached
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:44:43 GMT
Hello

Is there a way to stop the search process when a given number of hits is reached?

I have a counter feature which displays how many docs match a query.
This counter is blocked; I mean that if there are more than 500 docs, it will just display
"more than 500".
I don't care about the exact amount of docs matched by the query, the order of the hits or
whatever...
What I want is to stop the search process when it reaches at least 500 hits in order to improve
performance...
(I want an average search time in about 50 - 100 ms)

I experimented with the following methods :
For the same query:
with search(Query query, Filter filter, Sort sort)  hits=157691 docs in searchingTime=2514
ms
with search(Query query, Filter filter, int n) (with n = 50)  TopDocs totalHits 157691 in
searchingTime= 2360 ms

For another query:
With search(Query query, Filter filter, Sort sort) hits=1208 docs in searchingTime=750 ms
With search(Query query, Filter filter, int n) (with n = 50) TopDocs totalHits 1208 in searchingTime=
718 ms

For another query:
With search(Query query, Filter filter, Sort sort) hits=16174 cv(s) searchingTime=1297 ms
With search(Query query, Filter filter, int n) (with n = 50) TopDocs totalHits 16174 in searchingTime=
1219 ms

According to this results, replacing the first method by the other has no effect on either
the search
time or total number of hits returned

Also the lucene version used now is 1.9.1 (but i work on the evolution to 2.3.2)

Thanks a lot
(Sorry for my bad English ... you will easily guess, I’m French ;)