lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matt Ronge <mro...@theronge.com>
Subject Pre-filtering for expensive query
Date Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:34:01 GMT
Hi all,

I am working on implementing a new Query, Weight and Scorer that is
expensive to run. I'd like to limit the number of documents I run this
query on by first building a candidate set of documents with a boolean
query. Once I have that candidate set, I was hoping I could build a
filter off of it, and issue that along with my expensive query.
However, after reading the code I see that filtering is done during
the search, and not before hand. So my initial boolean query won't
help in limiting the number of documents scored by my expensive query.

  Has anyone done any work into restricting the set of docs that a
query operates on?
Or should I just implement something myself in a custom scorer?

Thanks in advance,
--
Matt Ronge