lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Lassau <mlas...@atlassian.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading from v2.2.0 to v2.3.2
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 01:26:42 GMT
Mike,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Michael McCandless wrote:

> Mark Lassau wrote:
>
>> I am a developer on the JIRA Issue tracker, and we are considering
>> upgrading our Lucene version from v2.2.0 to v2.3.2.
>> I have been charged with doing the risk analysis, and project work.
>>
>> I have read the change lists, and the bugs reported on the Lucene
>> Issue Tracker (JIRA of course ;), and some of the archived messages
>> on the Lucene lists.
>
> We love Jira -- thanks!

... and we love Lucene :)

<snip>

> I would think LUCENE-1044 (not corrupting search index if OS or
> machine crashes) is important for Atlassian.

LUCENE-1044 is only marked as fixed in v2.4
I assumed that the possible corruption on hard shutdown existed in
v2.2.0 (and earlier), so we are no worse off by upgrading to v2.3.2.
Is that the case?
> The CHANGES.txt should be a reliable list of any
> non-backwards-compatible changes and how to revert to the old behavior
> (and if it isn't we'd love to hear about that!).  EG merging is now
> done concurrently by default, flushing is by RAM usage not doc count,
> merge selection is by size-in-bytes of each segment (not
> size-in-doc-count).
Thanks, I read those. Good job on providing a very useful change summary.
However, I guess I was also interested in any reports "from the field".
Sometimes there can be unexpected consequences.
eg, I read somewhere of one user having multi-threaded issues because of
a change from Vector to ArrayList in some implementation.

Cheers,
Mark.