lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Vasilev <ivasi...@sirma.bg>
Subject Updating tag-indexes
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:01:37 GMT
Hi Lucene Guys,

I have a question that is simple but is important for me. I did not
found the answer in the javadoc so I am asking here.
When adding Document-s by the method IndexWriter.addDocument(doc) does
the documents obtain Lucene IDs in the order that they are added to the
IndexWriter? I mean will first added doc be with Lucene ID 0, second
added with Lucene ID 1, etc?

Bellow I describe why I am asking this.
We plan to split our index to two separate indexes that will be read by
ParallelReader class. This is so because the one of them will contain
field(s) that will be indexed and stored and it will be frequently
changed. So to have always correct data returned from the ParallelReader
when changing documents in the small index the Lucene IDs of these docs
have to remain the same.
To do this Karl Wettin suggests a solution described in *LUCENE-879
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-879>*. I do not like this
solution because it is connected to changing Lucene source code, and
after each refactoring potentially I will have problems. The solution is
related to optimizing index so it will not be reasonably faster than the
one that I prefer. And it is:
1. Read the whole index and reconstruct the documents including index
data by using TermDocs and TermEnum classes;
2. Change the needed documents;
3. Index documents in new index that will replace the initial one.
I can even simplify this algorithm (and the speed) if all the fields
will be always stored - I can read just the stored data and based on
this to reconstruct the content of the docs and re index them in new.

But anyway everything in the my approaches will depend on this - are
LuceneIDs in the index ordered in the same way as docs are added to the
IndexWriter.

Thanks in Advance,
Ivan