lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Multiple index performance
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:13:01 GMT
cmunoz@mit.edu wrote:
> Thanks Anthony for your response, I did not know about that field.

You make your own fields in Lucene, it is not something Lucene gives you.

> But still I have a problem and it is about privacy. The users are concerned
> about privacy and so, we thought we could have all their files in a folder
> and encrypt the whole folder and index with a user key, so then when user
> logs in, decrypt the folder with the key and so Lucene can reach the
> documents, so that is why I am concerned about efficiency, since I do not
> know if Lucene could handle the 10,000 indexes.

It seems like you may be confusing what Lucene will give you.  The original file
content and the Lucene indexes are two different things.  It sounds like you
want to protect access to the original content on some shared storage, but that
is not related to the searching provided by your Lucene app, or maybe I
misunderstood your use case.

Antony