lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Multiple index performance
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:58:28 GMT
Cyndy wrote:

> I want to keep user text files indexed separately, I will have about 10,000
> users and each user may have about 20,000 short files, and I need to keep
> privacy. So the idea is to have one folder with the text files and  index
> for each user, so when search will be done, it will be pointing to the
> corresponding file directory. Would this approach hit performance? is this a
> good solution? Any recommendation?

For access control, we use an ownerId field in Lucene which indexes the owning
user.  We filter all searches using ownerId.  This allows all Documents to be
kept in a single index.

We also support sharding across multiple index files for performance/scaling
considerations, via a hash of the ownerId, but in practice have not needed it.
Much will depend on your search usage.

YMMV
Antony