lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <>
Subject Re: windows file system cache
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:50:44 GMT
Mark Miller wrote:
> Robert Stewart wrote:
>> Anyone else run on Windows?  We have index around 26 GB in size.
>> Seems file system cache ends up taking up nearly all available RAM
>> (26 GB out of 32 GB on 64-bit box).  Lucene process is around 5 GB,
>> so very little left over for queries, etc, and box starts swapping
>> during searches.  I think changing file system cache size setting is
>> needed.  Anyone else have same issue?
> Hmmm...get more ram :)
> Windows 64-bit upped the default file system cache size from 1 gig to
> 1 terabyte. Your feeling the awesome effects of that upgrade I think.
> There is an API call ( SetSystemFilecache() ) to override this - so
> perhaps code up a C app to set it before running your Lucene app?
> - Mark
You may actually be able to do it from the registry as well: (don't use windows anymore so
havn't confirmed)

Info showing the change from 1 gig to 1 terabyte:

You just want to set it to a certain percentage of what you got -
leaving enough to do whatever your lucene app needs to do.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message