lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: windows file system cache
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:22:13 GMT
Robert Stewart wrote:
> Anyone else run on Windows?  We have index around 26 GB in size.  Seems file system cache
ends up taking up nearly all available RAM (26 GB out of 32 GB on 64-bit box).  Lucene process
is around 5 GB, so very little left over for queries, etc, and box starts swapping during
searches.  I think changing file system cache size setting is needed.  Anyone else have same
issue?

Hmmm...get more ram :)

Windows 64-bit upped the default file system cache size from 1 gig to 1
terabyte. Your feeling the awesome effects of that upgrade I think.

There is an API call ( SetSystemFilecache() ) to override this - so
perhaps code up a C app to set it before running your Lucene app?

- Mark