lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>
Subject Re: escaping special characters
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:43:49 GMT
You can simply change your input string to lowercase before passing it
to the analyzers, which will give you the effect of escaping the boolean
operators.  (I.E you will now search on and or and not)  Remember
however that these are extremely common words, and chances are high that
you are removing them via your stop words list in your analyzer.  This
is also assuming you are using an analyzer that does lowercasing as part
of its normal processing, which many do.

Matt

Steven A Rowe wrote:
> On 08/11/2008 at 2:14 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>
>> Aravind R Yarram wrote:
>>
>>> can i escape built in lucene keywords like OR, AND aswell?
>>>
>> as of the last time i checked: no, they're baked into the grammer.
>>

> I have not tested this, but I've read somewhere on this list that enclosing OR and AND
in double quotes effectively escapes them.

>> (that may have changed when it switchedfrom a javac to a flex grammer
>> though, so i'm not 100% positive)
>>

> Although the StandardTokenizer was switched about a year ago from a JavaCC to a JFlex
grammar, QueryParser's grammar remains in the JavaCC camp.

> Steve

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics