lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Per user data store
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:40:03 GMT
I'd start out with one index, if for no other reason
than keeping track of one index for each user would
be a royal pain in the neck. You haven't told us
how many users or documents you expect,
so that's just a guess. There's one answer perhaps
if you wind up with a 10M index, another if it's 10T.....

Filtering on the username is a fine idea, although
I'd also start by just ANDing in the username to
the query to start. Then measure your resonse
time. Note that the first time you open a reader, the
response will be slow so measure queries 2-n
instead.

I don't know the guts of Lucene, but my indexes do NOT
grow linearly with the data. After a very few docs, adding,
say, 1M of data does not cause the data to grow by 1M (or
even close to that) for fields that are NOT stored. I've
learned to just trust that the very bright people who work
on Lucene have "done the right thing" <G>...

Best
Erick