lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ThreadLocal in SegmentReader
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 19:30:28 GMT
On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> So now I'm confused: the SegmentReader itself should no longer be reachable,
> assuming you are not holding any references to your IndexReader.
>
> Which means the ThreadLocal instance should no longer be reachable.

It will still be referenced from the Thread(s) ThreadLocalMap
The key (the ThreadLocal) will be weakly referenced, but the values
(now stale) are strongly referenced and won't be actually removed
until the table is resized (under the Java6 impl at least).
Nice huh?

-Yonik