lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Index optimization ...
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:44:11 GMT

: My understanding is that an optimized index gives the best search

there is an inherent inconsistency in your question -- yo usay you
optimize your index before using it becuase you heard thta makes searches
faster, but in your orriginal question you said...

> I'd like to shorten the time it takes to optimize my index and am
> willing to sacrifice search and indexing performance.  Which parameters

...if you are willing to sacrifice search performacne, why don't you just
stop optimizing altogether?

there's very little point to optimizing unless you don't pln on
updating the index for a while afterwards, and are trying to squeeze
every little bit of speed out of each search.  if the time it takes to do
the optimize is prohibitive, and you don't care if searches get a *little*
slower (and i really do suspect the difference will be fairly small, some
really great improvements were made to searching with multiple segments a
few point revs back) then you don't need it.

-Hoss