lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Boolean expression for no terms OR matching a wildcard
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:00:39 GMT
: Maybe this is easier ... suppose what I'm indexing is a phone number, and
: there are multiple phone numbers for what I'm indexing under the same field
: (phone) and I want the wildcard query to match only records that have either
: no phone numbers at all OR where ALL phone numbers are in a specific area code
: (e.g. 800* would match all in the 800 area code).

i can't think of anyway to accomplish the second part of your query.
specificly, given the following records...

  Doc1: field1:AAA, field1:Aaa, field1:Bb, field1:C, field2:X, field3:Y
  Doc2: field1:AAA, field1:Aaa, field1:Aa, field2:Z

...i can't think of any type of query like field1:A* which would match
Doc2 but not Doc1 (because there are other field1 values that do not start
with 'A')

-Hoss